Search Tanya Yvonne

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Yeah, but I Know why I'm not Published

A couple of weeks ago I was chatting with someone who I shall refer to as Mrs. Blind.  During the course of this conversation, she told me that her husband had just finished his first book and it had only taken him a few months to write.  I remarked something like now the fun part, revisions.  Mrs. Blind gave me a curious look before informing me that Mr. Blind had already begun trying to get it published.  Suddenly I knew what it felt like to be an emergency room nurse as question after question tumbled from my mouth as I tried to come up with a diagnosis.  Some reason as to why Mr. Blind had sent out a first draft.  However, it only took one question from Mrs. Blind to force me to stop, “I thought you just had a blog you do for free?”  After I fixed my face with a polite smile, I gathered my child and excused myself.  It was then that I realized that she, like her husband, was blind to the true inner workings of the publishing world.

There is not a week that goes by where I am not asked about the status of my book.  The book in question could be any of the three I have already completed or the fourth one that I am currently working on.  Book number one was self published.  I managed to find a PR firm to represent it, muscled my way in to several local Barnes & Noble Booksellers, scored an invite to the first local Books in the Park event and snagged some good reviews.  My second book was better than my first.  Since I viewed my self publishing venture as more of a learning experience rather than a lucrative one, I decided never to do it again.  So with book number two I did research, the writing conference thang and queried it until I grew to despise the whole process.  With my third book I started this blog discovered some great writing communities and only sent out two query letters before moving on to my current manuscript.

You see I get that the writing, revising, researching the industry, more writing, revising, querying, rejection and starting it all over is all apart of my education.  One that, as long as I do not give up out of FRUSTRATION, will lead me to finally obtaining my goal.  The difference between writers like Mr. Blind and writers like me is that I know why my previous works were not publishable (this is a good thing:-).  And it has little to do with the quality of writing.  Knowing why your manuscript(s) gets rejected or ignored is just as important as continuing to write.  Otherwise you run the risk of never getting published.      
Happy reading, writing or whatever: )

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who asks a tons of questions about how someone plans to publish their manuscript. Maybe it's because I was Mr. Blind when I started.

I admit it. I stupidly sent off my "first draft" the first time I queried agents. (First draft of the query letter and synopsis, too!) When the rejections started piling up I smacked myself for jumping too soon. I learned what I did wrong (which was an awful lot), and I hope I corrected it this time around.

Unknown said...

The hardest part for me was understanding how important the pitch is to this process.

naddiya26 said...

i liked it

Tonya said...

As I write my first novel, I am mentally bombarded in the back of my mind that I have to also summarize it for the agent/publishing house. It's got to be as close to perfect as possible. We're not just writing our novels, we're marketing it to be marketed before it's even published!

Also, I stumbled across your blog on goodreads. We're definitely kindred spirits in name, purpose in life as writers, and Richmonders! Keep plugging away. I've discovered we write not simply because we want to; as I see it, it's why I breathe. Hope to meet you at the JRW conference... I'll be there! All the best to you!

Unknown said...

Thanks Tonya for checking out my blog. You seem to know a lot more than I did when I first got started:) In the beginning the term marketing never entered my mind during the writing process.