Search Tanya Yvonne

Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Real Racism Problem

I am a writer so I guess it is my nature to be intrigued by language.  I don’t just hear what people say to me, I also “hear” what they don’t plainly come out and say.  You see, the way in which someone has articulated something can at times be more telling than what they have actually said.  As you probably know by now Dr. Laura Schlessinger used the N-word 11 times on her nationally syndicated radio show.  As a result the familiar debate about whether or not the N-word should be stricken from our vocabulary has again sprung up.  When people use such an emotionally charged word it is easy to pounce on them for doing so, and I get that.  Believe me I get that.  But what really bothers me about the exchange Schlessinger had with the caller is something I have labeled the real racism problem, rhetoric.  Everyone gets so caught up in the N-word, to the point that the real racism problem gets ignored.

So what Schlessinger used the N-word 11 times.  We all, well most of us anyway, agree that using it is wrong on some level.  What doesn’t get discussed, because of all the furor over a single word, are all those other insensitive words.  Used to form generalizing, offensive statements that are more harmful than the single N-word.

What Schlessinger Said:   
a lot of blacks voted for Obama simply 'cause he was half-black.  Didn't matter what he was gonna do in office
What I (Tanya Yvonne) heard:
Blacks do not know or care about the issues.  They operate like children where girls seek out other girls and boys seek out other boys simply because they are a like.  Meaning blacks looked at then candidate Obama and deduced, he looks like me so must vote for him.    
   
What Schlessinger Said:  It was a black thing.
What I heard:  Blacks are not individuals.

What Schlessinger Said:  You gotta know that. That's not a surprise
What I heard:  I know how you people are.

What Schlessinger Said:  I don't get it. If anybody without enough melanin says it, it's a horrible thing; but when black people say it, it's affectionate. It's very confusing.
What I heard:  I really don’t understand why you are feeling this way.

What Schlessinger Said:  Yeah. We've got a black man as president, and we have more complaining about racism than ever. I mean, I think that's hilarious.
What I heard:  We have a black president so I feel we no longer have a race problem.  I don’t care about how you are feeling.


Language is very powerful.  The Dr. Lauras of the world are masters of this rhetoric game.  Because it is never what they come out and plainly say that creates divides.  Only the residue.  That nasty stickiness that you can’t really see but somehow feel.  The N-word 11 times -clearly heard.  All those others words -kind of heard, but definitely felt.  Time to focus on the real racism problem.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

In a word this post is 'fabulamagnarific' (alright...so it's not really a word but as your post is about the power of language, I wanted to give you a word that I thought summed up how I really felt about it!) I totally agree with you about Dr. S.--her lack of words speaks louder than the syllables that come pouring out of that mouth of hers as if they were the wine poured by Jesus!

Unfortunatley, the only flavor left in my mouth when she (& many other uber conservatives) is that of vinegar.

I could go on (in fact, I just deleted 2 paragraphs b/c I didn't want to bog you down) but I'll stop here as I tend to r
I do look forward to reading more of your work.

Here's wishing you a great rest of your day and much happy blogging.

Cordially,
L. Avery Brown
http://whenasouthernwomanrambles.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Oh good grief. I wanted you to know that I don't typically leave blatant errors in my comments! I suppose I was wrapped up more in the sentiment I felt when I wrote my comment than I was in the 'proofing!'

...uber conservatives) SPEAK is that of...

AND

...as I tend to rAMBLE.

UGH!

Once again,
Avery

Jeff said...

good post. You could hardly call it a mistake on her part when she says it 11 times

A Sideways Girl said...

People like "Dr." Laura are just throwing fuel on the fire... Here is a link you might find interesting: Morgan Freeman on race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2d2SzRZvsQ (If you haven't seen it already). I think he makes a great point. The only way to get beyond racism is to stop looking at people in that way... When you cut through the rhetoric we all have the same needs. I believe we have more things in common than we have differences.

Great post! Language is powerful. Now - how do we get people to realize how damaging the "B" word can be to women?

Unknown said...

To Sideways Girl
The B-word I know. I will check out the link you suggested.

To L. Avery
I sometimes make up words too:)

To Jeff
I agree.

Thanks for the comments.

chris gotts said...

Hi Tanya,

I was reading networkedblogs discussion board and saw that you want followers who leave comments, well ok I thought, and read your post.
Can I just say, from an outsiders point of view, (outsider as in living in the UK and british, therefore not influenced by who is your president) your post really highlighted to me your honesty and understanding of where the real issues lie.
My 4 year old daughter, at nursery, has 3 best friends, two of which are from asian families and one little boy who has a disability and has to use a voice box. When I asked her why she was friends with them, her answer was because they are nice and kind and fun to play with. Not once has she even mentioned the differences in colour because, well, why should she, it doesn't mean anything to her. Unlike Dr. S by the sounds of things.

take care and I look forward to reading more of your views.

Chris
www.chrisgotts.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

To Chris
This world needs more people like your daughter:) Thanks for checking out my blog.

gene said...

all i feel when reading articles about this whole Dr S situation, is intense irritation at her moronic perspective towards reality.

Unknown said...

Very awesome write. I'd also like to point out Dr. Laura totally jumped some sort of racial bandwagon.

The woman was asking for help dealing with her white husbands friends cracking racial jokes in her home.

What about giving her legitimate advice like kick them out. Nobody deserves to feel uncomfotable in their own home.

Oh what about telling her husband to step up. If she told him, he should than in turn and tell them it bothers her and to STFU.

MeL said...

Good post.

The day I realized I wasn't racist was when I realized that when my brother walks through the door, I don't see the color of his skin. I see Chris, the boy I grew up with. A person who loves me, my family.

I hadn't thought of it that way.

When I hear someone make a racial comment (and being around a lot of white people, I hear it a lot) I don't just get offended, I get mad. That's my brother they're talking about. They aren't seeing a person that is my brother, they're slapping a label on him and judging him and that pisses me off.

Most people don't realize that I have a brother who has different colored skin than I do. They assume that because I'm white, I'll "get it" and that pisses me off too. And that alone is enough to assure me that not all people of one race think the same, act the same or do the same things and it's equally wrong to judge any other race based upon the actions of one individual.

Racism is laziness. It's just a way of not caring about someone and the color of their skin is just an excuse to treat others unkindly. It's a way to forget about someone, a way to distance yourself from your own feelings.

Kudos to your post. You seem like an intelligent and strong woman who is able to see things and call it what it is. Nice meeting you. =]

Unknown said...

Yep, it all comes down to empathy. Thanks for the positive feedback Mel.